Punny (vaginal) steaming has been a popular practice in Ayurvedic medicine, it is a form of treatment that utilizes herbal steam that is directed to a vagina’s exterior. The scientific backing for these claims is simple. When you combine heat from the steam and the medicinal properties of the herbs in your vagina, you experience improved blood flow and circulation. Harmful bacteria also die in the process. Vaginal steam utilizes gentle heat and moisture that carries herbs oils to the external vaginal tissues or the vulva. The warmth and moisture cause an increase in circulation. This makes the vulva to swell exposing the internal labial mucous membrane. The highly porous and absorbent tissues allow the bloodstream to pick up the oils and convey them to the internal reproductive system such as the uterus. The oils then assist in the cleaning of the system and the releasing of the lining, which makes sure that the subsequent cycle is pain-free and comfortable.
What Is Punny (Yoni )Steaming?
Punny (yoni) steaming, also known as vaginal steaming, is an ancient practice that uses the heat from herbal steam to lightly permeate the outside of a woman’s vagina and allow detoxification. Sound scary? Herbal Healers around the world have been using this practice for centuries.
This powerful ritual helps nourish the vagina while healing and restoring divine femininity. Steaming helps improve stagnation and cleanses old residue in the vaginal canal and womb space. If blood from the previous menstrual cycle has not been properly cleared, the body identifies it as a foreign substance. This activates muscles in the abdomen to attempt to push it out of the body. This muscle contracting action often results in painful cramps. Doing vaginal steams assists the body with cleansing and improves circulation, which enhances the body’s own healing mechanisms. On an emotional level, steaming activates a connection to femininity and is a powerful act of self-love.
A healthy period is generally 3-4 days of moderate bright red blood flow without clots.
Doing vaginal steams 1x the week before your period and 1x the week after your period can assist in relieving menstrual pain & reducing brown blood, thereby balancing menstrual issues over time.
The importance of proper circulation and full clearance of each menstrual cycle is especially important in achieving optimal fertility. If there’s a build-up of past menses, tissues, cysts, etc., then there’s a chance that a fertilized egg will be unable to complete the implantation process. Punny-steaming supports proper blood flow to the pelvic area and therefore helps prepare the womb for a possible pregnancy.
*never steam when pregnant or if you think you might be!
Punny (Yoni) steaming has been utilized as a standard postpartum ritual for women around the world. This is often done under the care and advice of a midwife to promote healing from the birthing process and support postpartum recovery. In addition to physical healing of the delicate tissue, the new mom also benefits from emotional and spiritual healing as she lovingly takes care of her womb that has just brought a beautiful new life into the world.
Benefits and uses of yoni steaming
- Heals and tones the tissues of the vagina
- Regulates menstrual cycle and flow – such as decreasing flow or restoring an absent cycle; it can also help to clear blood clots
- Reduces symptoms of bloating, cramping, and pain during menstruation *when done prior to menstruation, it helps reduce the severity of symptoms
- Increases fertility
- Helps to clear uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, and endometriosis
- Helpful for pelvic pain, pain during intercourse, vaginal dryness, or tightness
- Trauma & emotional healing + a reconnection to femininity
- Postpartum healing, healing from a miscarriage or an abortion
- Helps to heal hemorrhoids
- Supports complete cycles pre-menopause
- Helps relieve vaginal dryness during menopause
Precautions / Contraindications
- Do not steam if you’re pregnant or if you are trying to conceive; speak with a practitioner
- Do not steam during your period
- Do not steam if you have an IUD
- Do not steam if there is excess heat in the body due to fever, hot flashes, or night sweats
- Do not use essential oils, they are too harsh for the vagina. stick with dried or fresh herbs.
- Do not steam if you have any type of internal or external infection
- Speak with a midwife about steaming postpartum
- Speak with an herbalist or holistic practitioner if you are working to heal severe hormonal issues or infertility
How to use
To use steam, simply boil 8 cups of water and add 1/3 cup of herbs to boiling water. Reduce heat to low and allow it to steep for 15 minutes. When steam is at a comfortable temperature, simply place a bowl of the steaming tea under a slotted chair. No slotted chair? No problem! Simply use a clean toilet! Place the bowl of steaming tea into the bowl of the toilet. Wrap a towel around your waist to keep heat and steam in the desired area and proceed to steam for at least 20 minutes!
It is not recommended to steam if you have an IUD or during menstruation. Do not do Punny steam if you are pregnant (or think you might be).
Ingredients: A blend of seasonal organic botanicals such as Marigold, Vervain, Rosemary, Lavender, Wormwood, Calendula, Periwinkle.
These views are not supported by the FDA, this item is not intended to diagnose, tread or cure any illnesses.